Edifying the TRUE feminine spirit

That's right - the TRUE feminine spirit... Not what the WORLD says we should be but what GOD *made* us to be!

Friday, April 01, 2005

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

Respect. To get respect we’ve got to give respect. Some think that respect must be earned. In some cases, that could be true. If you want your husband to respect you, you must respect him.

What stops a godly wife from respecting her husband? Pride. Remember what I told you earlier in the study about not with holding anything good from your husband? Well that includes respect. I know our husbands can be trying and sometimes down right obstinate…but that does not give us any cause to think that they do not deserve our respect. The Bible clearly states that we are to respect our husbands.

Jesus respected the men and women around Him. As His followers we should do the same. Think about respect this way: the Bible says that we are to submit to our husbands as we would to God. So then we know that even if we have difficulty submitting to our husbands we can see it as submitting to God and that makes it easier. Treat respect the same way. If you respect your husband, you are respecting God.

What are some ways we could show respect?

Ø Putting the needs of our husbands before our own.

Ø Going to him for advice on non-spiritual matters (if he is un-saved) even if we think we already know his answer. It is not respectful to assume we know what someone is thinking.

Let me give you an example. We were an Air Force family. We got paid twice a month. I am taking a course on professional dress-making and I can go no further until I buy some material to make a dress. But I also wanted to purchase a Bible study for my quiet time. I am a home-maker. My husband is a wonderful man and if I ask, I generally receive. I prayed over my dilemma thinking that we would not have enough money for both the material and the Bible study. I decided that if I must choose then, obviously, I would choose the Bible study. So I went to my husband and reminded him about the Bible study and asked if perhaps we could purchase it. He also knew that I needed material for a dress. He asked, “What about the dress stuff you need?” I told him that I could wait on the material but I felt that if we could, I really needed the new Bible study. He smiled and then surprised me by telling me I could have both the material and the study. I was elated and thanked God. So the children and I went to Wal-Mart for material. I found onde crepe on sale for $2.00 a yard and a beautiful pattern on sale for $1.74. God blessed me with my needs because not only did I pray, but I followed His word and respected my husband.

Ø We can let our husbands lead by leaving decisions up to him. The only decision my husband does not make has to do with feminine hygiene products.

Don’t get me wrong here ladies, that does not mean that I do not discuss things with my husband. I do. I talk to him about any decision that needs to be made. But the final decision is up to him unless it comes to car insurance because he doesn’t really understand the policy and doesn’t want to since he knows I used to sell the stuff. Ha ha. But I never make a change to the policy without asking him first.

Ø We can listen and follow his advice with a happy heart.

Our husbands have a lot to tell us and can really help us if we listen. Remember, the devil is out to kill, steal and destroy our joy. Our attitude is a decision. Get up every morning and rejoice in the day that God made and carry a happy heart. It is a conscious effort on our part (in partner with God) to carry a happy heart every day. For instance, my favorite color is red. It’s bright, it’s beautiful and it complements my skin tone. My husband’s favorite color is blue. If I ask my husband for his advice on a new dress (like what color) and he says blue instead of red, I make (or buy) a blue dress. It’s his favorite color and I am happy to make him happy.

Ø Don’t grumble or complain. It’s unbecoming and remember, frowning will cause wrinkles. * smile *

Ø Do not nag or argue.

That one took me a while to master and on occasion, I still do both. You are not his mother. You are his wife.

Let me give you some verses to read in Proverbs. You will see why it’s better to humble yourself instead of provoking an argument.

Ø Proverbs 12:4 – A wife of noble character is her husband’s crown, but a disgraceful wife is like decay in his bones.

Ø Proverbs 19:13 – A foolish son is his father’s ruin, and a quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping.

Ø Proverbs 21:9 – Better to live on a corner of the roof than share a house with a quarrelsome wife.

Ø Proverbs 21:19 – Better to live in a desert than with a quarrelsome and ill tempered wife.

Ø Proverbs 27:15 – A quarrelsome wife is like a constant dripping on a rainy day.

We’ve all had a dripping faucet or a rainy day at some point. What do we do? It could drive us crazy or we could just ignore it until the plumber comes or the sun starts to shine. If it drives us crazy, we want to get away from the noise. We could just ignore the noise all together. I don’t know about you ladies but I don’t want my husband to flee from our home because my nagging has drove him to it and I don’t want him to ignore me either.

Make a list of ten things you can do for your husband to show your love and respect. You can make it a list of ten things you could ask your husband for advice on or ten ways you can improve yourself so he sees your respect. How ever you wish to do it. If you don’t know or aren’t sure, ask him. Ask him how you could help him out. Is there an errand he needs done that you could do to help free up his time?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:37 PM, Blogger Kyle said…

    Thank you so much for being so supportive, but I promise i'm not quitting! The whole thing was an April Fools joke and i've updated the whole thing due to your and others heartfelt responses. It's awesome to know I can count on the community for help when i'm in trouble no matter the day. :D

     
  • At 1:03 PM, Blogger Sis. Robin said…

    Dear Kyle,

    Good to hear it was just a joke! :) Thank you for visiting.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Blogarama - The Blog Directory